Alvaro Morata explains why he’s given up the Chelsea No.9 shirt

Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata has announced he will no longer be wearing the number 9 shirt ahead of the upcoming season.

The Spaniard took the number when signing for the club in 2017, becoming the latest striker to done the 9 for Chelsea on a list which includes Peter Osgood, Kerry Dixon, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Fernando Torres among many others.

Morata had been linked with a move away from Chelsea this summer after an unhappy year under Antonio Conte but appears to have pledged his immediate future to the club.

And now, ahead of the upcoming season Morata has decided to change his shirt number from 9 to 29 to celebrate the birth of his first two children, Alessandro and Leonardo (twins) who were born on Sunday 29 July.

“My sons were born on the 29th (July) and I thinks it’s the most important thing for me,” he told Chelsea on his decision.

“I like the number nine but now I have the two babies with me, I have the number nine too but with my sons and the date of their birth.”

“It is a day I will never forget, to welcome my twin sons into the world,” he added in a statement released on the club’s official website.

“My family is so important to me and I want to honour them and my wife, Alice, when I am on the pitch which is why I have decided to take a different number for the new season and remember this special day by adding the number 2 to my shirt.

“I am sorry to the fans who may have bought a number 9 with my name already, but I hope you understand my tribute and that it will not be a problem and we can make you a new one with the 29.

“Thank you for your support and I hope this year there will be lots more to celebrate.”

As is the norm when a player changes their shirt number before the start of a season, Chelsea have offered those to have already bought a jersey with Morata and the number 9 the opportunity for a free exchange.

Morata’s first season at Chelsea

Upon joining the Blues last summer for £60m, Morata became the club’s record signing replacing another Spanish striker in Fernando Torres.

But, not unlike Torres, the 24-year-old did not enjoy the greatest of seasons at Stamford Bridge – despite finishing with 15 goals in 48 games.

Eleven of those goals came in the Premier League, but after scoring a respectable nine in his first 15 league appearances just two more followed in the remaining 17 as he lost his starting place to Olivier Giroud after the January transfer window.

This brought comparisons to past Chelsea number 9s including Torres, Falcao, Steve Sidwell and Khalid Boulahrouz who had all underperformed at the club – leading some to claim the 9 shirt is cursed.

The post Alvaro Morata explains why he’s given up the Chelsea No.9 shirt appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2OG4Yk8

No comments:

Post a Comment