Robin Olsen: I’m surprised Roma wanted me

Robin Olsen has joked that he was surprised AS Roma wanted to sign him after the role he played in preventing Italy from qualifying for this summer’s World Cup.

The 28-year-old Swedish goalkeeper relocated to Italy’s capital last month for a reported £7.6m from FC Copenhagen, subsequently ending a two-year association with the Danish outfit, and in the process becoming Alisson’s successor following his departure to Liverpool for a world record fee for a ‘keeper.

Olsen joined after featuring throughout Sweden’s World Cup campaign. Janne Andersson’s men famously qualified at the expense of Italy, beating them 1-0 in last year’s playoff, and for that reason, the native of Malmö jokingly expressed his surprise behind his transfer.

“First of all it’s a pleasure to be here, this is a big step in my career,” he told reporters (via Football Italia) at his unveiling in Boston.

“It was an easy choice. In Sweden, everyone is happy for me, because we know how big a club Roma is.

“The Italy game? It was a special match for us, very difficult. We were happy, but I’m surprised they wanted me in Italy after what happened!

“We did our job and made Swedes happy. As for Alisson, he’s a great goalkeeper and I have great respect for him but the club chose me. There’s a lot of talk about that obviously, but I need to focus on my work here.”

Olsen’s career

Olsen, who came through at Malmö FF, began his senior professional career at IF Limhamn Bunkeflo before enjoying spells at fellow Swedish clubs Bunkeflo FF and IFK Klagshamn.

He would return to Malmö FF, keeping 28 clean sheets in 75 outings, which earned him a move to Greek side PAOK and from there he joined FC Copenhagen.

Olsen would ultimately feature across 100 matches in all competitions, averaging a goal conceded every 109 minutes, before saying goodbye.

The post Robin Olsen: I’m surprised Roma wanted me appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2MiMWTf

No comments:

Post a Comment