Alvaro Morata confirms he considered Chelsea exit this summer

Alvaro Morata has revealed he contemplated leaving Chelsea and returning to either Italy or Spain in the summer.

The 25-year-old Spanish marksman joined the Blues from boyhood-club Real Madrid in the summer of 2017 and enjoyed a mixed first season at Stamford Bridge, costing him a place in Spain’s 2018 World Cup squad.

Morata, who has since reaffirmed his commitment to Maurizio Sarri’s team, has admitted there were some truths to the reports claiming he wanted out of the club after his World Cup omission.

“Last year I wasn’t happy. I started well but at the end it was a disaster,” he told reporters (via the Daily Mirror).

“I went out to the pitch and did even not know where I was. I considered returning to Spain or Italy.

“But you can’t always escape reality, I left Spain to earn a place at the World Cup and I did not go. It was hard. I’m going to do everything I can to go to the next one, it was a difficult time because I expected to go.

“I didn’t have the best season. The boss took a decision. I don’t resent [Julen] Lopetegui, I wish him all the best at Real Madrid.”

Morata at Chelsea

The native of Madrid has, to date, featured across 53 matches for Chelsea in all competitions, registering 16 goals and creating a further six for his teammates.

In his inaugural Premier League season, he managed 11 goals across 31 outings (0.35 per game or a goal every 187.7 minutes).

He finished as the Blues’ second-top scorer in the league behind the mercurial Eden Hazard who bagged 12, meaning both were the only players under Antonio Conte who reached double figures in the league that season.

So far, after four league appearances under Sarri, he’s bagged one goal.

The post Alvaro Morata confirms he considered Chelsea exit this summer appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2NhQYze

No comments:

Post a Comment