Petr Cech: I’m playing for my Arsenal future

Petr Cech says his performances for Arsenal this season will determine whether he has a long-term future with the club.

The former Chelsea goalkeeper, who has made 122 appearances across all competitions since moving to Arsenal in 2015, is out of contract at the end of the season and has revealed he is yet to be offered an extension to his current deal.

Still considered one of the best goalkeepers of the Premier League era, Cech has come under criticism for some of his displays this term having struggled to adapt to Unai Emery’s preference to play the ball out from the back.

Bernd Leno arrived from Bayer Leverkusen over the summer to provide competition for Cech, and the 36-year-old believes his future now rests on his displays between the sticks.

“I’m in the last year of the contract so I guess it depends on my performances, the way I play and the way I stay fit throughout the season, then we’ll see what happens next,” Cech told Sky Sports.

“When you bring players in you do that to improve the squad and to make it competitive and Bernd is here, trains every day and tries to get his spot which keeps everyone in the goalkeeping group on their toes including me.

“I have to work hard not only to make sure the manager picks me for the weekend but as well that he sticks with me.

“The goalkeeper situation is complicated as only one can play so the competition is bigger. At the moment I’ve been playing and I try to do my best and hope the manager is happy with my performances.

“I’ve always had great goalkeepers – David Ospina was great as was Carlo Cudicini and Hilario – behind me who pushed me all my career so I have to make sure I’m ready.

“In sport this is the way it goes – you always have someone waiting for your failure so they can jump in and you have to find a way to keep your spot.”

Cech is yet to keep a clean sheet in his five Premier League appearances so far this season, which included defeats to Manchester City and Chelsea before three successive victories over West Ham United, Cardiff City and Newcastle United.

Leno is expected to start in Arsenal’s Europa League opener against Vorskla at the Emirates on Thursday night.

The post Petr Cech: I’m playing for my Arsenal future appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2PSBlf5

No comments:

Post a Comment