Pablo Zabaleta: Pep Guardiola stopped me joining Roma

West Ham full-back Pablo Zabaleta has revealed how a move to Roma was blocked by Pep Guardiola during his time at Manchester City.

The Argentine defender has been open about his desire to experience Italian football before he retires after a deal that could have seen him join Roma fell through.

Zabaleta is entering the final year of his contract with the Hammers and revealed that he would love to play in Serie A if the opportunity arose.

He could have joined Roma in 2016 but when Guardiola took over a City boss he quickly put a stop to any move the defender has revealed.

“I came close to joining Roma in the past,” he told Sky Sports Italy, as reported by Calciomercato.

“They offered me a three-year contract and I thought that could be a positive experience for me.

“However, Guardiola took over at Manchester City and he told me that he needed me to stay so, in the end, I didn’t join Roma.

“It’s a decision I took with my heart even though I’ve always thought that I’d like to play in Italy one day.”

The Argentine went on to play 32 times for City during his final season with the club before he joined West Ham on a free transfer at the end of the campaign.

After a difficult first season with the Hammers, Zabaleta is now enjoying a better spell under compatriot Manuel Pellegrini. He was excellent in the wins over both Manchester United and Everton and throughout the draw against Chelsea.

If he does leave the Premier League for Italy at the end of the season he will be following the likes of both Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra who both spent time in the Italian top flight following glittering Premier League careers.

For now though, the Argentine will be concentrating on beating Brighton this Friday evening as West Ham look to continue their mini-revival after a poor start to the campaign.

The post Pablo Zabaleta: Pep Guardiola stopped me joining Roma appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2Cr71FG

No comments:

Post a Comment