Gelson Martins: How Simeone convinced me to join Atletico Madrid

Atletico Madrid winger Gelson Martins has revealed he was persuaded to join the club after a talk with manager Diego Simeone.

Martins was one of a number of players to leave Sporting Lisbon this summer after ending his contract due to problems at the Portuguese club.

The 23-year-old signed a five-year deal with Atletico and was officially presented to fans on Tuesday.

And Martins admitted Simeone encouraged him to join Atletico, with the Argentine identifying his “special characteristics”.

“The coach’s message was very important to me and he said I could add value to the team,” he told reporters (via Goal).

“All the players are very good, but the coach thinks I have special characteristics and that’s why I came.

“Since I arrived, I have worked very hard and with quality, and that will help me in the way I play, which is why I am very happy to work with Simeone.”

Martins is Atletico Madrid’s sixth signing of the summer, joining Thomas Lemar, Rodri, Santiago Arias, Jonny Castro and Antonio Adan in signing for last season’s Europa League winners.

Atletico kick off their season against rivals Real Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup on August 15, five days before going up against Valencia in their opening game of La Liga.

But first, Atletico face Inter Milan on August 11 in their final pre-season friendly.

Gelson Martins’ final season with Sporting

Last season for Sporting, Martins was a regular feature in the league, starting 30 of his 31 appearances.

Twenty-three of those appearances came on the right wing, as the Portuguese used his dribbling ability to push Sporting forward.

The 23-year-old scored eight goals and recorded a further eight assists, while also completing 81 take-ons – the second-most in the Liga NOS – averaging 2.7 take-ons completed per 90 minutes.

The post Gelson Martins: How Simeone convinced me to join Atletico Madrid appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2ACWeIt

No comments:

Post a Comment