Ampadu: I can learn from David Luiz

Chelsea wonderkid Ethan Ampadu says he can learn plenty from David Luiz at the club and believes the pair are similar as ‘ball-playing centre-backs’.

Ampadu penned a new 5-year deal at Chelsea on Tuesday and impressed whilst on international duty with Wales earlier this month.

Plenty have drawn similarities between Ampadu and Luiz, not least because of their hairstyles, but also because both are capable of playing in defence and in midfield.

The 18-year-old has not made a first team appearance for Chelsea this season but was impressive in pre-season and is expected to play a part in the Europa League and Carabao Cup as the year goes on.

After signing his new deal, Ampadu told Chelsea’s Fifth Stand app: “Playing in the same position as him (David Luiz), having the same hair as him, he’s a ball-playing centre-back and I like to think of myself as a ball-playing centre-back so from that aspect we could be similar.

“No one’s the same but there’s things I can learn from him in the way he is on the ball and the way he defends.”

Ampadu is being tipped to have a huge future with Chelsea and elaborated on his decision to sign a new long-term contract with the Blues by saying: “I’m really proud but the hard work doesn’t stop here. It’s always nice to be rewarded with a new contract.

“Just being around everyone, seeing how people are day-to-day, seeing the way they live their lives and the way they take care of themselves to be able to perform in training and play in matches.”

“Being a Chelsea fan, and I used to be an attacker, I used to look up to (Didier) Drogba. So when I used to play, when he was number 11, I wanted to be number 11 wherever I was because I looked up to him and the way he played.

“As I became a more defensive player, I used to look up to people like John Terry.”

Despite travelling with the squad to Greece, Ampadu was not included in the matchday squad for Chelsea’s Europa League group stage opener against PAOK on Thursday.

Will England regret their failure to snap up Ampadu?

Paul Tisdale, who used to manage Ampadu at Exeter, recently claimed that England rejected the chance to take a look at the defender when he was 15.

His decision to play for Wales in the UEFA Nations League earlier this month have ended any hopes England might have had of convincing Ampadu to represent the Three Lions.

When asked about his appearances for Wales’ senior side and manager Ryan Giggs, Ampadu said: “To make my competitive debut was another step to what I want to do and where I want to go.

“Playing for Wales made my mum’s family so proud, especially my grandma and grandad. My grandad loves it which only smiles a smile to my face when I see him.

“What he (Giggs) did with his career, which was fantastic, which is another thing I can only look up to.

“Because he’s got all that experience, he’s someone very good to learn off, he can always give advice which I think he did and hopefully I can continue to work hard to get more opportunities to do that.”

The post Ampadu: I can learn from David Luiz appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2xAUn1Z

No comments:

Post a Comment