Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp admits he regrets Gary Neville spat

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has admitted that he regrets retaliating to criticism offered by Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville.

During the 2016/17 season, Neville criticised Reds goalkeeper Loris Karius for his poor form prompting Klopp to hit back at the former Manchester United defender.

Speaking to reporters just under two years ago, Klopp said: “[Gary Neville] showed when he was a manager that he struggled with the job to judge players, so why do we let him talk about players on television?”

Since then, Karius has come under more criticism, and Klopp has brought in Brazilian shot-stopper Alisson from AS Roma for an initial transfer fee of £56 million following the Reds’ 3-1 Champions League defeat to Real Madrid.

Speaking to Goal, Klopp has laughed off the media confrontation with Neville, stating that he may have been a little harsh in what he said.

“I made a mistake,” he said. “I was a little harsh about the Neville brothers, for sure, but I said what I said.”

Klopp also spoke of his relationship with the British media, stating that he isn’t someone who takes too much interest in what is written but he still aims to have a positive relationship between himself and with the countries journalists.

“I don’t sit and listen to what people say about us. I’m really not interested. If we are bad, I know it before they know it, and if we are good, I know it before they know it. It makes no sense to listen to them.

“I don’t read anything about English football, I occasionally see something about us but only if the headline is harmless! If I see a headline is going in a particular direction, then forget it!

“But I want to have a normal relationship with journalists. I don’t want to be one of these managers who is like ‘who wrote that?’ and then I will not talk to them. That makes no sense.

“I learned a long time ago in Germany that you get good and bad. I knew each journalist in Germany, but does it help? They are not friends of mine, but I don’t hate them!”

Liverpool kick off their Premier League season against West Ham United on August 12.

The post Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp admits he regrets Gary Neville spat appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2naaTl2

No comments:

Post a Comment