Ex-Man Utd winger Memphis Depay laughs off Wayne Rooney criticism

Former Manchester United attacker Memphis Depay has responded in jest to Wayne Rooney’s comments on the Dutchman’s time at the Premier League club.

Rooney recently criticised the mentality of the former Red Devil, stating that he just gave up trying to help the winger adjust and adapt to life at Manchester United.

Depay joined United back in 2015 from Dutch side PSV Eindhoven for a transfer fee of £25 million, with his reputation as one of Europe’s hottest properties warming up nicely.

However, the now 24-year-old only made 53 appearances in all competitions for the club – scoring just seven goals and assisting six times – before moving to France to play for Ligue 1 side Olympique Lyon.

Responding on Instagram (via Metro), Depay laughed off any accusations made by Rooney that his attitude wasn’t worthy of a place at United and instead referenced their good friendship.

“Why even a question? You saw my reaction. People will take it as I’m serious,” Depay laughed.

“Some people can’t take a joke and me and Wayne are very good friends. Of course, he is a legend and when I heard about it I was just questioning – I don’t have a red leather jacket out of my thousand leather jackets.

“I understand what he meant with it and that’s it. It doesn’t need to be brought up again. Still, it is.

“It’s in the past and I’m a flamboyant guy and like nice stuff but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t be more smart. I’ve become more mature.

“Other than that, sometimes we take things too seriously and you should laugh about a joke and keep going.

“I’m sure he is happy with how I turn up now and the football player I am. I’ve been gaining more quality and feel very strong. It’s all good.”

Rooney discussed the player a few days ago, with his original comments hinting at Depay’s materialistic desire over his dedication to the United cause.

“Memphis? He came on at Stoke away and messed up for their goal so Louis van Gaal made him play for the reserves the next day,” Rooney told The Times.

“I said, ‘Look, it’s a bit difficult [for you]. Just don’t come in with all your fancy stuff.’

“And he turned up for the reserve game in his Rolls-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. And I just thought, ‘What’s the point?’

“But Memphis is a lovely lad and it’s good to see things going well for him now.”

Depay will return to Manchester on Wednesday evening, to take on former rivals Manchester City in the Champions League.

The post Ex-Man Utd winger Memphis Depay laughs off Wayne Rooney criticism appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2MP1IR8

No comments:

Post a Comment