How Homebase helped Andy Robertson get over the Champions League final

Liverpool full-back Andy Robertson has admitted it took a trip to Homebase with his dad to get over the disappointment of Liverpool’s Champions League final loss. 

Expectations were high for the Reds going in to the final in Kiev. They had just emerged from the two previous rounds in the competition with convincing victories over Manchester City and Roma.

Mo Salah had won the Premier League’s Golden Boot and broke the record for the most-goals scored in a single 38-game season – he was poised to menace Real’s defence.

However, Salah was taken off injured in the first half, Liverpool lost momentum and two errors from goalkeeper Loris Karius sealed their fate on the night.

Understandably Liverpool players were dejected and despondent in defeat. Nobody was talking to each other reportedly on the way home as the squad was coming to terms with the disappointment.

Robertson, who played well in the final, says he did’t speak to anyone for a while after the final.

“I sat up and spent some time with my little one,” he told Goal. “He can’t speak yet, which I was quite happy about!

“I didn’t speak to anyone for a while, to be honest. The day after the final, all my family were flying back and coming to the house. I had over 20 people at the final and they were all flying in at different times and all trying to catch some sleep. It was a bit manic.

“You put so much into the whole day, so much adrenaline, and then you have a massive come down afterwards. That hit me.”

It was Robertson’s father who was instrumental in curing his son’s blues, when he took the left-back on an outing to Homebase to pick up a barbecue.

“We had to go and buy a barbecue because everyone was coming round!” he says, smiling. “So, yeah, the day after the Champions League final I’m in Homebase in Formby buying a barbecue!

“But it just got me out the house to be honest! My dad is quite good in those kind of situations. He’ll talk about everything but football, so I went with him and then me, him and my missus’ dad took care of the barbecue!

“By about three o’clock when everyone had arrived, I was just happy to have my family round me. I could see how proud they were of me and it was good to be surrounded by them. It was a good comfort.”

Liverpool are back in action in the Premier League on August 12 when they take on West Ham United at Anfield, but face Napoli on August 4 in a friendly.

The post How Homebase helped Andy Robertson get over the Champions League final appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2mVjYOo

No comments:

Post a Comment