Denis Suarez: I need to step up after talks with Barcelona boss

Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez is eager for this to be his breakthrough year as he trains with team mates in the United States. 

The 24-year-old demonstrated improvements last season as he scored two goals in 18 league appearances, and he is now hoping to have a positive summer ahead of the new campaign.

“A step forward will be demanded of me and I know I have to take one. I believe I have the ability to do so and I go into the season with a lot of excitement,” said Suarez, via Football Espana, at a promotional event at Nike’s headquarters in Oregon.

“I’m eager for this to be my year and I hope to have more involvement than in previous campaigns. Maybe I have this feeling more than I did in other years and I hope to make the most of any absences there have been in my position.”

Suarez further revealed he has held discussions with manager Ernesto Valverde, and says that he intends to demonstrate that he is capable of performing at the highest level for the club.

He added: “I have spoken with him in the same way that other teammates have. My intention is to remain here and his intention is for me to stay.

“I’ll try to convince him from the start of what I am capable of doing.”

With Andres Iniesta departing the Nou Camp at the end of last season, a regular first-team place is now up for grabs in central midfield.

But if Suarez intends on nailing down a regular spot, he will have to see off heavy competition from the midfield ranks already at the club.

Players like Rafinha, who has just returned from a loan spell, as well as Malcom who has recently arrived at the club, will be equally driven to hold a place in the first team.

Barcelona take on Spurs on Sunday in the International Champions Cup.

The post Denis Suarez: I need to step up after talks with Barcelona boss appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2LUQMls

No comments:

Post a Comment