Malcom speaks out on transfer U-turn: “I always wanted to join Barcelona”

Brazilian winger Malcom has insisted he always wanted to join Barcelona despite coming close to signing for Roma.

Malcom was officially unveiled as a Barcelona player on Thursday after joining the La Liga champions from Bordeaux, where he made 96 appearances across all competitions.

The move came not long after Roma had agreed a deal with Bordeaux for the player, but the Ligue 1 club later accepted an offer from Barcelona and Malcom opted for the Spanish giants.

Subsequently, Roma sporting director Monchi apologised to the club’s fans and suggested the club may take legal action against Bordeaux.

Meanwhile, Malcom was asked about his transfer U-turn during a press conference on Thursday.

“I always wanted to go to Barcelona,” said Malcom, according to Goal. “I was always calm. My agents have been in charge of this whole issue.

“It was an opportunity to play for Barcelona and here I will play with the best players in the world. I am very happy to be able to be at a team like this.

“It’s very difficult to come to Barcelona, but I am going to give all I have to do a good job. I am very happy in my heart, I am realising a dream that I have had since childhood.”

Malcom was linked with both Arsenal and Tottenham in the January transfer window but a move to England failed to materialise.

The 21-year-old, who has made 11 appearances for Brazil’s Under-20 side, scored 23 goals in his 96 appearances for Bordeaux.

He moved to France in 2016 from Brazilian side Corinthians, where he scored 10 goals in 73 matches.

Barcelona are set to face Roma in a pre-season friendly on August 1 in the International Champions Cup.

The post Malcom speaks out on transfer U-turn: “I always wanted to join Barcelona” appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2NON39C

No comments:

Post a Comment