Fosu-Mensah willing to play anywhere to earn Man Utd spot

Timothy Fosu-Mensah has said he is willing to play in any position in order get a place among Manchester United‘s starting XI – apart from in goal.

The 20-year-old Dutchman spent last season on loan at Crystal Palace, where he made 21 Premier League appearances, but, amid Manchester United’s pre-season injury crisis, he has said he wants to stay and fight for his place at Old Trafford this season.

Commenting on his return to the Red Devils this season, Fosu-Mensah said, via Goal: “I came back to show that I’ve improved and to show that I’m a better player now. I’ll keep working hard and see what happens.

“I can play right-back, right wing-back, centre-back, in midfield. For me, it’s possible. I’ve played centre-back and right wing-back [on the tour] so for me, it’s not a problem. I wouldn’t say in goal – in goal, I would be very bad.”

Fosu-Mensah, a three-time Dutch international, is currently on Manchester United’s pre-season tour in the USA.

With manager Jose Mourinho being without a host of first-team players, such as Chris Smalling, Antonio Valencia, Marcos Rojo, Nemanja Matic, Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly, due to injury – as well as the likes of Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard, Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Marouane Fellaini, Romelu Lukaku and Paul Pogba, who are still on leave after the World Cup – he was forced to field an inexperienced side for their 4-1 defeat to Liverpool on Saturday.

Fosu-Mensah was a part of that side and speaking on that game, as well as the rest of the tour, he said: “The tour has been good. We’ve played against quality opponents. We tried to train how we want to play so I think it has been really good for us.

“I’m focused on my training sessions and on the games. The next game is Real Madrid and we have to focus on that now.

“It’s very nice to play against a good club, against good players. Some of the best in the world. It’s good to have that test and we’re focused on that.”

Manchester United kick off their Premier League season on Friday August 10 at home to Leicester City, and Mourinho will be hoping to have a bigger pool of players to choose from by then.

However, before that match, the Red Devils face European Champions Real Madrid in the International Champions Cup on Wednesday at the Hard Rock Stadium in Florida.

The post Fosu-Mensah willing to play anywhere to earn Man Utd spot appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2LOQShH

No comments:

Post a Comment