Hart insists no bad blood with Guardiola over Man City exit

Burnley goalkeeper Joe Hart has insisted he is ‘cool’ with Pep Guardiola following his Manchester City exit. 

The 31-year-old goalkeeper made 348 appearances for City during a 10-year spell with the club, winning two league titles, an FA Cup and two League Cups in the process.

However, following Pep Guardiola’s appointment at the Etihad in 2016, Hart found his chances limited and endured unsuccessful loan spells at Torino and West Ham United.

This eventually led to him losing his place in the England squad which would reach the World Cup semi-final this summer.

Hart has now joined Burnley on a permanent deal and has enjoyed a strong start to the season, making a league-high 26 saves across his five appearances for the Clarets so far.

And, speaking to Sky Sports ahead of Burnley’s defeat to Wolves on Sunday, the 75-time England international has dismissed any rumours that he had a problem with Guardiola.

Hart said: “I’m cool with Pep, I think he’s a top manager.

“He came in and was dead honest with me. I looked him in the eye and shook his hand, I thanked him for his honesty. I didn’t thank him for his opinion, but his honesty was second to none. We tried to make the best of a bad situation for both of us.

“It is what it is. I moved on, worked hard, trained with City, I was welcomed back the last couple of pre-seasons. It could have easily been awkward, but it wasn’t.”

Hart also spoke about how grateful he was that Burnley came in for his signature after worrying that clubs weren’t showing much interest in his services following sub-par performances while out on loan.

He added: “I made it clear to City that I didn’t want to go on loan again, I had one year left on my contract.

“Like I’ve said before it was a kind of strange situation for me. I know what qualities I bring, I know what I’ve done, and what I can still do, but people weren’t banging the door down for me. That’s the truth.

“In my opinion, I think loans are for younger players trying to improve, who have got the whole world in front of them. You’ve got no real ground, no real base or backing as a loan player.

“I’m grateful I’m here with Burnley, and I’m really enjoying it.”

Hart’s old club Manchester City kick off their Champions League campaign on Wednesday evening, as they welcome French club Lyon to the Etihad Stadium.

The post Hart insists no bad blood with Guardiola over Man City exit appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2pnuFul

No comments:

Post a Comment