Gini Wijnaldum denies Liverpool exit talk: “I laugh about it!”

Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum has laughed off speculation linking him with a move away from Anfield this summer.

The 27-year-old Dutch midfielder was associated with Turkish giants Fenerbahçe, now managed by his former PSV Eindhoven manager Phillip Cocu.

Wijnaldum, though, could only laugh at what he feels is lazy reporting given his relationship with Cocu while stressing the thought of leaving Merseyside hadn’t even crossed his mind.

“That was the speculation of the media,” he told reporters (via Goal).

“I laugh about it! I also read that I asked the club if I could leave. I never had a conversation with the club!

“People from the outside just see Liverpool are buying players, so [they think] players who are already here are going to leave. Liverpool will always buy good players, even if they already have good players. That’s normal. I think it has to be normal for a club like Liverpool because that means you’re a big club.

“But that was something from the media that I was going to Turkey. Maybe because Phillip Cocu is manager and I worked with him for two years. I don’t know who put it in the media, but it wasn’t me!”

Wijnaldum joined Liverpool from Newcastle United after a one-season stay at St James’ Park in the summer of 2016.

A graduate of Feyenoord’s esteemed academy, he would leave Dutch football after becoming a champion with PSV in 2015.

Since arriving at Anfield, he’s gone on to feature in no fewer than 93 games registering eight goals and creating a further 15 for his teammates.

The native of Rotterdam started his 2018/19 Premier League against West Ham, playing the full 90 minutes in their 4-0 home win, but Wijnaldum faces strong competition when it comes to regularly starting under manager Jurgen Klopp this season.

The post Gini Wijnaldum denies Liverpool exit talk: “I laugh about it!” appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2KR5I2G

No comments:

Post a Comment