Bordeaux suspend Gus Poyet after his public threat of resignation

Bordeaux have suspended manager Gus Poyet following a scathing attack on the club.

Eric Bedouet will act as interim coach ahead of Sunday’s game against Toulouse in place of Poyet, who it is claimed is unlikely to return.

The 50-year-old Uruguayan manager felt aggrieved upon learning striker Gaetan Laborde was sold to Montpellier hours before their Europa League qualifier against FC Marioupoul.

After steering the Ligue 1 side play-off round date with Belgian club Gent, Poyet made his feelings known and even threatened to quit.

“No I am not happy, It is one of my worst days at the club. What the club have done with Gaetan Laborde is a disgrace,” he said, according to the Mirror Sport.

“I think we have to stop here. I told the club not to let him leave until we had bought someone else. They have not recruited and they let Laborde go. I arrived at 11.35am. Laborde was not here. He was in Montpellier. Nobody told me anything.

“I want to talk to my agent and I am going to make a decision. I don’t know how this is going to finish. Do I have the desire to continue? No. They have done that against me, against the players and the supporters.

“I need an explanation from the club: from the owner or the president. They are going to explain to me tomorrow (Friday) and we will see if I carry on or not. Am I going to resign? I don’t know.”

The powers that be at Bordeaux subsequently called his bluff, meaning a temporary end of a seven-month collaboration. Poyet met with club officials on Friday morning, according to L’Equipe, who say the coach has been suspended for a week. It is also reported that the club’s sporting director, Stephane Martin, had to appease players refusing to train out of protest.

Naturally, the move has been met with resentment. Poyet’s son Diego – a professional footballer who is currently without a club – thanked a journalist who condemned Bordeaux’s decision given the good work done by the former Chelsea and Spurs marksman.

“Many thanks for your words, Andres,” wrote Diego on Twitter.

Poyet, who formerly managed Brighton & Hove Albion and Sunderland, took charge of the French club this January and would go on to oversee 21 matches in all competitions.

Under him, Les Girondins would claim 13 victories, giving him a 62% win rate, whilst losing on six occasions; they bagged 36 goals (1.71 per game) and conceded 21 (one every 90 minutes).

Bordeaux, though, lost their 2018/19 league opener at home to RC Strasbourg Alsace (0-2) and will next face Toulouse on August 19.

The post Bordeaux suspend Gus Poyet after his public threat of resignation appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2MlbA9Z

No comments:

Post a Comment