Leeds are a bigger club than I deserve – Bielsa

Marcelo Bielsa believes he is fortunate to be Leeds United manager.

The much-travelled and lauded Argentine tactician succeeded Paul Heckingbottom in the summer.

He becomes the clubs’ 12th permanent manager this decade, but the former Argentina national team boss feels – given his recent adventures – he’s not worthy of the job, though he’s determined to be successful.

“I think I’m at a club that’s bigger than I deserve,” he told the Guardian.

“My goal is to show I deserve this opportunity but also that I’m not a demagogue.”

Bielsa’s recent escapades

Leeds United represents the fifth club Bielsa has joined since stepping down as Chile manager in 2010.

He’d go on to manage Athletic Bilbao, Marseille and Lille whilst also spending two days as Lazio boss.

Bielsa would spend the longest at Athletic Bilbao, ultimately taking charge of 113 matches, but enjoyed relatively more success at Marseille in terms of goals per game (2.05) and win percentage (51.2%).

His task is to gain Leeds promotion. It’s now 14 years since Leeds last played in English football’s top division. The Yorkshire club finished the 2017/18 Championship season in 13th having only won four of their final 22 matches.

The post Leeds are a bigger club than I deserve – Bielsa appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2vAea0M

No comments:

Post a Comment