Harry Winks honoured by new Tottenham shirt number

Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks has spoken of his honour at wearing the club’s number eight shirt.

Previously worn by iconic figures such as Paul Gascoigne and Jimmy Greaves, Winks was given the number over the summer and is the first Spurs player to wear it since Ryan Mason in 2016, having previously donned the 29 shirt.

Winks was brought on as a late substitute in Tottenham’s 3-1 win over Fulham at Wembley last Saturday as he continues his comeback from a lengthy ankle injury.

And, in an interview with the club’s official website, the boyhood Spurs fan said: “It’s something I’ve always dreamed of since I was a little boy, to have the number eight at Tottenham.

 

“It really is special. There have been so many great names and great players who have played in that shirt over the years and when you’re a young fan and aspiring Tottenham player, number eight, as a midfielder, is just the pinnacle so to get the number is an honour and I’ve got to work hard to do it justice.

“If you look around in football, even outside the club, there’s people like Steven Gerrard who have worn the shirt who I’ve always said I looked up to as a young boy and there’s some great players who have worn it over the years in Europe too, people like Andrés Iniesta.

“It’s just a number that I’ve always wanted to have and to wear it for Tottenham’s first team is a real honour for me.”

Winks, 22, also told of how he had made the request to change his shirt number himself adding: “I asked the club if I could have it.

“I don’t really know how it all happened if I’m being honest – the club just sorted it for me and I was just told one day that I was going to have it, so it was all a bit of a whirlwind when I found out. I’m very grateful and I’m looking forward to knuckling down and working hard now.”

A big season ahead for Winks

In the past two seasons with Spurs, Winks played 58 games for the club across all competitions and looked to be cementing his place in Pochettino’s plans for the squad.

Winks also earned his first England call-up with Gareth Southgate giving him a starting berth in the Three Lions’ 1-0 World Cup qualifying away win over Lithuania in 2017.

Winks was given the man of the match award that night, with Gareth Southgate saying (via BBC Sport): “In many aspects, we moved the ball quite well. I was very pleased with Harry Winks in that respect.

“For me, one of the big things when you play for England isn’t necessarily the opposition, it’s whether you can handle wearing an England shirt.

“I thought he did that in a really accomplished way.

If Winks can put in a strong campaign for Spurs in 2018/19, there is a good chance he could force his way back into Southgate’s plans for the 2020 European Championships.

The post Harry Winks honoured by new Tottenham shirt number appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2PDvZoD

No comments:

Post a Comment