Robert Lewandowski: They made me want to leave Bayern this summer

Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has revealed the reason he wanted to leave in the summer was a lack of support from the club’s hierarchy.

The 30-year-old forward has taken a shot at the club directors, claiming that they did not do enough to protect him when he was receiving criticism towards the end of last season.

The Polish international has scored 155 goals in 197 matches for the Bavarian club but was put under the microscope last spring when he failed to score in a couple of big matches. This was despite the fact that he finished as the top marksman in the Bundesliga in 2017/18 with 29 goals.

Following the criticism, Lewandowski stated he wanted to move in order to take on a new challenge, with the player linked to Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid.

The club took a strong stance on the matter and refused to listen to offers, making it clear that no amount of money would tempt them to sell their top striker.

Lewandowski, who turned 30 on Tuesday, appears set to stay with the club for the foreseeable future, but he still hit back at the leaders in a recent interview with Sport Bild: “In April and May, everyone criticised me. And I felt no protection from the club, I felt alone.

“I scored no goals in two or three important games and suddenly everyone was saying: ‘Open fire against Lewandowski!’ I did not see anyone who supported me at the time. Neither of the club bosses defended me. I did not feel good in Munich at that moment. Being at Bayern did not fit for me at that time.”

The U-turn was prompted by the support the forward recieved from the stands and now the former Borussia Dortmund striker is not thinking about a move.

He added: “I noticed that in Munich the fans support me. I realised that they still want me here. I will never strike, never mess with the club. I’m not wasting any thought on another club now.”

The player, who has six Bundesliga titles to his name, made a formidable start to the 2018-19 season, bagging a hat-trick in the DFL Super Cup victory over Eintracht Frankfurt before getting the only goal of the game as FCB saw off SV Drochtersen 1-0 in the DFB Pokal last weekend.

On Friday, Bayern’s defence of their Bundesliga crown begins with a home encounter against Hoffenheim, where Lewandowski is likely to lead the line again for the Bavarians.

The post Robert Lewandowski: They made me want to leave Bayern this summer appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2wihRZ7

No comments:

Post a Comment