Serge Aurier believes now is the time for him to steal Spurs’ teammate’s starting spot

Tottenham right-back Serge Aurier is relishing the opportunity to capitalise on Kieran Trippier‘s absence from preseason training as he looks to leave a lasting impression on manager Mauricio Pochettino.

Aurier, 25, endured a sporadic debut season in north London as he battled with Trippier for the right-back berth, starting just 16 Premier League matches on the flank compared to the Englishman’s 21 starts.

However, the former PSG defender is now determined to impress Pochettino while Trippier recovers from his World Cup duty with England, after he helped guide the Three Lions to a fourth-place in Russia.

“I start now and Tripps is coming afterwards,” said Aurier (via ESPN), who signed for Spurs on deadline day last summer. “It was the same for me [last season]. Now is my time.

“At the moment, I have to take my chance because the season is long. If I play good, the gaffer has a choice. If I don’t play good, that is football. But for now, Trippier is on holiday and, for me, it’s my moment to take my chance.”

Aurier enjoyed a decorated career at the Parc des Princes, winning 11 trophies in just three years, including the Ligue 1 title in each of his seasons in the French capital, and now the Ivorian believes his new club are ready for silverware.

He added: “I left Paris Saint-Germain for a new challenge. I came, I finished third. It was OK, but this season is not the same because I have a good ambition for the future.

“The Premier League is not the same as the French league. It’s been a big change for me, but I have the team that [can] finish first. I don’t know [if we can], but I believe and all the guys believe in the new project at the new stadium.”

A product of the Lens academy, Aurier progressed through the ranks at the Stade Bollaert-Delelis before signing for Toulouse in 2012; he would go on to enjoy three seasons with Le Tefece where his performances earned him a lucrative transfer to the Parisians in 2014.

Now plying his trade on English soil, Aurier deputised in the Champions League for Spurs in September and appeared in 24 matches across all competitions, though he is eager to feature more prominently this term.

“Playing more games is important for me,” he said. “When I’m ready, this season is better, more normal. I know the Premier League, I know the players, all the people who work in the team.

“Now I’m ready. My ambition is to win the Premier League.”

The Lilywhites are currently partaking in the International Champions Cup, defeating Champions League semi-finalist Roma 4-1 at the Qualcomm Stadium this morning, while they next face Barcelona on Sunday.

The post Serge Aurier believes now is the time for him to steal Spurs’ teammate’s starting spot appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2LTH2rt

No comments:

Post a Comment