Arjen Robben: Leaving Real Madrid was the best decision of my career

Bayern Munich forward Arjen Robben says that leaving Real Madrid was the best decision of his career ahead of the new Bundesliga season.

Robben spent two seasons with Los Blancos, picking up one La Liga winners medal and a Supercopa de Espana along the way.

Despite his success in La Liga, the Dutchman claims that trading the Spanish capital for Bavaria was the best decision he’s ever made over his 18-year career.

“After my debut as a pro for Groningen, I was at Eindhoven for two years. It was a big step for me in the Netherlands: to leave home at the age of 18,” Robben said (via Goal). “I went abroad when I was 20, three years at Chelsea, a big club. Then two years at Madrid.

“Then Bayern approached me and I made the decision. I was sceptical at the beginning, I didn’t know whether it was the right decision. I can now say: it was the best decision in my career.”

The 34-year-old helped Bayern secure their sixth consecutive, and 27th overall, Bundesliga title last season, and Robben appears to be confident about his club’s prospects ahead of the new season.

“There’s room for improvement, now we need match practice. But we’re still ready for the Bundesliga restart.”

When asked what he’d like the headline to be at the end of the season, Robben replied: “It was a superb season from Bayern. They won everything there was to win. The played outstanding football, beating everyone.”

Robben at Bayern

Robben has been a key player for Bayern ever since he arrived at the club in 2009. He played a significant role in the club’s historical treble-winning 2012/13 season, scoring the winning goal in the last minute of the Champions League final against Borussia Dortmund, in which he was also named Man of the Match.

With his contract running out this summer, there was speculation over whether Robben, who is undoubtedly entering the twilight of his career, would remain at the club. However, the Dutchman, along with fellow winger Frank Ribery, 35, has committed to spending another season in Munich.

Robben scored in the 90th minute in Bayern’s 3-1 victory over Hoffenheim on Friday night. Bayern head to VfB Stuttgart next Saturday.

The post Arjen Robben: Leaving Real Madrid was the best decision of my career appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2weJCTn

No comments:

Post a Comment