Early Man City return inevitable admits Walker: “To not be a part of this would have been stupid”

Manchester City defender Kyle Walker has admitted that he couldn’t resist returning to the club earlier than planned after his busy summer with England. 

Walker played a big part in Gareth Southgate’s England side reaching the semi-finals of the Fifa World Cup in Russia this summer.

His involvement in the tournament convinced City boss Pep Guardiola to offer Walker further time off after the World Cup finished, with many of Europe’s biggest clubs starting their pre-season without their World Cup stars.

However, Walker has revealed that he couldn’t keep away from training too long and he forced himself to return to the City set-up. Speaking to reporters, the former Spurs full-back admitted it “would have been stupid” to stay away any longer than needed.

“To not be a part of this would have been stupid, for me to not want to come back,” said Walker to reporters (via Goal).

“The gaffer gave me the option, he said you can either come back on August 6 after this, or you can come back and to play.

“There is no doubt in my mind that I wanted to be here to achieve what I have achieved. Luckily the risk paid off.

“Come Christmas I might be saying to you that I’m absolutely knackered, but that is just football.

“I’m not looking into the future, I take every game as it comes, and as long as I am on the pitch and playing football, that is what keeps me happy.”

After defeating Chelsea 2-0 in the Community Shield last week, City’s first Premier League fixture of the season is away to Arsenal this Sunday as the champions look to become the first team to defend a Premier League title since Man Utd defended their crown in 2009.

The post Early Man City return inevitable admits Walker: “To not be a part of this would have been stupid” appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2vQZfPC

No comments:

Post a Comment