“I want to score 30 goals this season” | Squawka Football

Alvaro Morata has said he wants to score more than 30 goals this season but will accept fewer if Chelsea win the Premier League.

The striker, who joined Chelsea from Real Madrid last summer and has scored 16 goals in 51 appearances for the Blues to date, was on the scoresheet in Saturday’s 3-2 win over Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.

Morata put Chelsea 2-0 up with a well-taken goal but Arsenal drew level before half-time, only for the hosts to win it late on through a strike from defender Marcos Alonso.

After starting last season brilliantly, Morata tailed off in the middle of the campaign and ended up scoring only 11 times in the Premier League.

The 25-year-old failed to receive a call up to the Spain squad for the World Cup in Russia and subsequently struggled for Chelsea in pre-season.

But Morata says confidence hasn’t been his only issue over the last year and insists he is now ready to start scoring regularly again.

“The last year was very hard for me, not just with confidence,” Morata told Chelsea’s official website.

“The injury [last season] was very bad for me and my head, but when the ball goes into the net everything changes. Your mind isn’t blocked anymore and I hope now I can score a lot of goals.

“I think for me the most important thing is the mode we play. Last year it was direct, I had to protect the ball in the air and that’s not my best quality. Now I can attack the spaces, play one-touch and go into the area for the crosses which is better for me.

“The manager works with the ball always and when you work with the ball you have more chances, and the strikers have more chances, but that’s not the most important thing.

“For sure I want to score more than 30 goals, but I would prefer to score 15 or 20 and for us to win the Premier League or another big trophy. I want to score many goals but the most important thing is the team.”

 

Chelsea have won their first two games of the season and are currently third in the Premier League, something Morata believes is important even this early in the campaign.

He added: “I’m very happy because it was three very important points against Arsenal. In the Premier League, I think if you win your first five games you’re in the fight because here in every game you can lose or drop points.”

Next up for the Londoners is a trip to Newcastle United on Sunday.

The post “I want to score 30 goals this season” | Squawka Football appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2LfY81T

No comments:

Post a Comment