Juventus boss Max Allegri: Why I said no to Real Madrid

Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri says he turned down the chance to manage Real Madrid as a matter of principle.

The 50-year-old was linked with the 13-time European champions following the sudden departure of Zinedine Zidane.

However, due to a commitment made with club president Andrea Agnelli, there was no chance of him leaving Turin before his contract was up even if coaching Los Blancos is a dream.

“I said ‘no’ to Real Madrid because I made a commitment with the president,” he told Stile Mese magazine (via Goal).

“Therefore, my maximum respect for Juventus and given word were why I rejected the call of Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world and the dream for every coach.

“I’d be a hypocrite if I said I wasn’t honoured by their consideration, but I’m absolutely convinced that I made the right decision.”

Allegri’s supremacy

Since joining from rivals AC Milan in 2014, following Antonio Conte’s decision to become Italy manager, the Livorno-born tactician has become one of Juve’s most decorated managers.

Under his leadership the Old Lady have won four successive Serie A titles and Coppa Italia’s making him the first manager in Europe’s top five leagues to win four consecutive doubles.

Yet to conquer Europe, having lost two Champions League finals, Juve after signing Cristiano Ronaldo and Leonardo Bonucci (back from a season at AC Milan) are one of the favourites to triumph in Madrid next year.

Juventus kick-off their title defence at the Stadio Bentegodi in Verona against Chievo on August 18.

The post Juventus boss Max Allegri: Why I said no to Real Madrid appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2M7yCkC

No comments:

Post a Comment