Mateo Kovacic determined to leave Real Madrid

Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic remains adamant that he will leave the club this summer amid strong interest from the Premier League.

Kovacic, 24, joined Los Blancos in 2015 but has failed to cement a starting position in the middle of the park, and is now determined to leave the Bernabeu.

Despite the appointment of new head coach Julen Lopetegui, the Croat has told the Spanish tactician at Real’s training ground in Valdebebas that he wants to seek first-team football elsewhere.

Kovacic has been unable to dislodge the central midfield trident of Casemiro, Toni Kroos and Luka Modric and has sat on the periphery of first-team action for three seasons, starting just 10 La Liga matches last term.

The former Inter Milan midfielder revealed in June: “I think it’s best for me to go to another club where I will have the chance to play regularly as a starter.”

And he has now reaffirmed his original stance in an interview with Marca, saying: “The problem is that it’s difficult for a young player to have continuity and without that I will never be able to show my potential.

“When I don’t play of course I’m not happy.

“I’ve enjoyed these three years in Madrid hugely, with incredible teammates, winning trophies… But I haven’t been completely happy because my contribution to all of this has not been the biggest and it’s something I want to change.”

A lack of first-team action in the Spanish capital may have also hindered a starting berth in the World Cup, as the Austrian-born Croat could only muster one start as the Blazers reached the final of the competition in Russia.

Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Liverpool are all reportedly interested in bringing the 24-year-old to English soil, but not without the assurance of first-team football.

Kovacic will now sit down and assess his options, but there will certainly be plenty of suitors for the midfield maestro, and his next destination could well be the Premier League.

The post Mateo Kovacic determined to leave Real Madrid appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2LzzcGK

No comments:

Post a Comment