DONE DEAL: Man City defender leaves the club without ever playing a game | Squawka

Jason Denayer has joined Ligue 1 side Lyon permanently for £9m after spending five years at Man City

The Belgian centre-back, 23, had been of interest to Celtic, Galatasaray and Torino but it’s Bruno Genesio’s Lyon that have secured the services of the Belgium international.

Denayer can play across the backline or in central-defensive midfield, though he is primarily a centre-back. He has spent the past four years at Celtic, Galatasaray, Sunderland and Galatasaray once more. He never made a senior appearance for City.

Last summer Denayer looked to be on the verge of joining Girona, and criticised Man City’s stance over his potential transfer. At the time he made some telling omissions about the nature of club he wanted to join, and talked glowingly about Lyon.

“Manchester City are not keen on selling me or only against unreasonable terms for potential buyers: a buy-back clause for almost the same price as the selling price,” he told SportV in Belgium, as reported by the Daily Mail.

‘That means that clubs aren’t keen on signing me permanently and prefer to take me on loan. I’ve nothing against a new loan deal, but I want to choose my destination.

“Lyon would be the perfect place for me. An ambitious club in an attractive league. The club and I had already reached a personal agreement, but City are vetoing a move and are pushing me to Girona.

“We’ll see what will happen in the coming weeks. If the situation is not resolved, I will go to Girona, but not heartily.”

Denayer joins a Lyon side currently sitting 10th with three points after two games. Lyon face Strasbourg in the league on Friday.

The post DONE DEAL: Man City defender leaves the club without ever playing a game | Squawka appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2N5GXBC

No comments:

Post a Comment