‘I had my plans for many months’ – Mourinho hits out at Man Utd board over transfer targets

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho says he didn’t get what he wanted in the transfer window this summer.

The only major signing the Red Devils were able to complete over this summer was for midfielder Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk.

Throughout the summer it had been well documented that the Portuguese tactician was interested in bringing in a centre-back to reinforce a defence that is yet to settle down since his arrival.

United used 11 different centre-back partnerships last season, as Eric Bailly missed much of the campaign through injury and Chris Smalling and Phil Jones were inconsistent when they played together.

Asked if the new season will be more difficult without the signings he wanted, Mourinho told Sky Sports (via Metro): “Of course it will be. ‘

“I think it will be a difficult season for everybody, not just for us. For us it will be a difficult season because I had my plans, and I had my plans for many months.”

Mourinho added: “But I find myself in the beginning of the Premier League, with the market closed, I find myself in a situation that I thought I was not going to be in, but I think it’s the last time I speak about it.

“Maybe last time in the press conference if any of your colleagues ask about it. But over, finished, the market is closed. And no more talk about it.”

Mourinho was lukewarm when asked about his relationship with United CEO Ed Woodward, who had reportedly offered him the opportunity to pursue several high-profile players.

When asked about the the authority he had over his club’s signings the United manager said that it’s more accurate to describe football managers as head coaches in the modern era.

“That’s football. That’s football management. I think football is changing, and probably football managers should be called now more head coaches.”

United won their opening game of the new season, beating Leicester City 2-1 on Friday thanks to goals from Paul Pogba and Luke Shaw. The Red Devils next face Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday August 19.

The post ‘I had my plans for many months’ – Mourinho hits out at Man Utd board over transfer targets appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2P0lawR

No comments:

Post a Comment