Arnautovic: I let down Bilic a little bit

West Ham United forward Marko Arnautovic has admitted that he let down ex-Hammers boss Slaven Bilic prior to his sacking last season. 

Bilic was relieved of his position as West Ham manager last season after the east-London club fell and stayed near the bottom of the Premier League table.

Former Stoke City forward Arnautovic was criticised at the time for his lack of commitment to the cause and was partly blamed for the eventual sacking of Bilic.

Since the appointment of David Moyes last campaign, and following on with new manager Manuel Pellegrini, the Austrian international has established himself as one of West Ham’s best and key players.

Speaking to reporters (via the Guardian), Arnautovic has now reflected on the difficult period the club suffered last season, admitting that he could have done more to ensure Bilic had more of a chance of keeping his place on the London Stadium touchline.

“People were hammering me,” Arnautovic said. “They said I didn’t track back. I watched the video and I tracked back. I was always with my full-back.

“People expected more because I came here for a lot of money. I needed to do some special things.

“It would be harsh to say he was sacked because of me. Maybe there were a couple of occasions when I let him down. I have a lot of respect for Slaven. I love him as a human being and as a coach. I let him down a little bit and I think he thought that as well. When he saw me playing as a striker and scoring goals, it wasn’t easy for him.”

With Arnautovic injured, West Ham gained a creditable point at home to Chelsea on Sunday in a 0-0 draw.

The Hammers take on Macclesfield Town in the League Cup on Wednesday.

The post Arnautovic: I let down Bilic a little bit appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2zr459y

No comments:

Post a Comment