Lucas insists he has more to give after Player of the Month win

Tottenham Hotspur forward Lucas Moura promises more will come after being named as the Premier League player of the month for August.

The 26-year-old Brazilian international bagged three goals across three league appearances in the opening month of the 2018/19 season including a stunning brace in Spurs empathic 3-0 win away to Manchester United.

Lucas’ efforts saw him collect the first player of the month of this campaign – which saw competition from Marcos Alonso (Chelsea), Neil Etheridge (Cardiff City), Sadio Mane (Liverpool), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City), Roberto Pereyra (Watford) and Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool).

Delighted with the honour – also becoming just the fourth Brazilian to win the award after David Luiz, Edu and Juninho – Lucas vows this is only the beginning.

“It’s difficult to explain how I’m feeling at the moment,” he told the club’s official website. “I’m so happy because I know it’s not easy to win this trophy and it was a great month for me and also for the team.

“I don’t have much to say but thanks to God and to share this with my team-mates and with my family, and to keep working because this is only the beginning. We have a lot more in front of us so I need to keep working and doing my best.

“What a month! I’m so happy, so happy! I worked a lot and very hard for this moment and I think the team had a great month with great games.”

“My first goal at Wembley in the Premier League was very nice, with my left foot. It’s not normal! It was a big moment and of course, against Manchester United, it was even more special because it’s not easy to play at Old Trafford against United and I scored two goals and we won 3-0,” he added.

“The feeling is impossible to explain because I waited a long time for this moment. I need to enjoy it but also to keep working because I believe I have much more to give and I’m sure we will have a successful season because we can, and I believe in my team-mates, I believe in this club. I want to deliver much more.

“For me, the Premier League is the toughest league in the world and to win a trophy like this, to be Player of the Month, it’s not easy. To be here now and to win this trophy gives me more motivation to keep working and to want more.”

Lucas joined Spurs in January 2018 from Paris Saint-Germain where he registered 46 goals and 49 assists in 229 official appearances spanning five years.

During his time in France the São Paulo-born winger lifted five league titles as well as three French Cups.

Since relocating to north London he’s needed to bide his time. So far under Mauricio Pochettino the 35-time capped Brazil international has played no fewer than 15 matches for the Lilywhites scoring four goals in the process.

His next outing is expected to be on September 15 when Premier League leaders Liverpool turn up at Wembley where Spurs continue to temporarily play their home fixtures.

The post Lucas insists he has more to give after Player of the Month win appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2O6DGCA

No comments:

Post a Comment