Robertson is an inspiration for young players – McLeish

Scotland manager Alex McLeish has described Andrew Robertson as an inspiration for youngsters everywhere.

The 24-year-old full-back was recently named by McLeish as Scotland’s captain following an impressive 12 months with Liverpool.

His story, though, is what has impressed the national team boss and the “never give up” attitude he’s displayed is something footballers coming up the ranks can take heart from.

“It’s a magnificent story,” he told Sky Sports. “There were a few candidates and for me he was the outstanding one.

“He carries himself extremely well, talks assertively and knows what he’s doing on the pitch. The players take to him and, equally, he’s very respectful of his team-mates.

“He’s an inspiration to all the young players when people tell them they’re not going to make it. Keep going. You’ve got to keep going. I still believe in the late developers. I really do. Andy has flown the flag for these guys. I think back to my own days. All my pals at Glasgow United were getting S-forms for Rangers and Celtic and I was thinking, ‘Why am I getting overlooked?’

“I played in midfield at the time but I took a real stretch around 16 and 17 and I moved to centre-half to great success and then all of a sudden I was getting invited everywhere. I thought, ‘Thank God I didn’t give up.’

“Even if they have to go back to a boys’ club, it’s possible to still make it through the ranks. It is quite rare nowadays these stories, being picked up late. We are such a small country. Never give up.”

Nominally a left-back, though can play as a left-sided midfielder, Robertson joined Hull City from Dundee United in July 2014 and would go on to make 115 appearances registering five goals and 10 assists.

His performances during the 2016/17 season attracted Liverpool’s attention and Robertson subsequently completed a move to Anfield for a reported £8m.

Robertson’s first season saw him become the Reds’ first choice left-back, as he played a pivotal role in their Champions League run to the final, and the Scot has not looked back since.

So far he’s featured in no fewer than 34 matches under Jurgen Klopp, scoring once and creating a further seven in the process, whilst he now owns 22 caps for Scotland and two goals.

The post Robertson is an inspiration for young players – McLeish appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2NB7ieF

No comments:

Post a Comment