Lovren’s opinion of himself is holding him back, says Klopp

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes Dejan Lovren‘s own opinion of himself is holding the defender back from playing regularly for the club.

This season has seen club record0signing Virgil van Dijk and talented Joe Gomez form a strong partnership in Liverpool’s defence. The Reds have so far won every single game in the Premier League and sit second behind Chelsea only on goal difference.

Lovren was a big part of the club’s successes last season but has seen his chances limited this campaign.

Speaking to reporters via the Liverpool Echo, Klopp has revealed he thinks Lovren is stopping himself from getting more minutes on the pitch due to his own low self-belief in his abilities.

“He has come closer to his potential. I was never in doubt about Dejan. I could have changed 5 or 6 other players that day. I would never judge a player on 20mins of his life.

“I’m 100% sure – I was never in doubt about Dejan.

“People said that it was never very good consistency wise and in this perspective the [Tottenham] game was a very difficult game for him.

“I could have changed five or six players but I did that and he wasn’t happy about it. But we all have our 20 minutes.

“There has not been too much talking about the situation and it was only about what I think about him. When he starts thinking the same about himself it could help him. My opinion is pretty high but his is pretty average.

“Unfortunately he is not fit at the moment but I am sure he will be back in a pretty intense period with seven games in the next three weeks.”

Liverpool’s next fixture is against French champions Paris Saint-Germain this Tuesday at Anfield in their first Champions League tie of the season.

The post Lovren’s opinion of himself is holding him back, says Klopp appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2NNY5Q0

No comments:

Post a Comment