Man Utd defender Luke Shaw was told he nearly lost his leg

Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has admitted he nearly lost his leg following his horror injury against PSV Eindhoven in the 2015/16 Champions League. 

In the group stage game, Hector Moreno slide-tackled Shaw, causing the then-teenager’s leg to break in two places.

Shaw, now 23, struggled to get back to his best following his recovery from the injury.

However, he has started this season well for United, earning himself a call-up to Gareth Southgate’s England squad for the upcoming Uefa Nations League game against Spain and friendly with Switzerland in the process.

But Shaw has admitted he almost lost his leg after complications following the injury.

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think about stopping playing,” he said, via BBC Sport.

“I had a lot of complications with my leg and that was the really hard moment for me in my career.

“No-one knows but I was really close to actually losing my leg. I never knew that until six months later when the doctor told me.

“At the time, they were thinking about flying me back and if I’d have flown back, I would probably have lost my leg because of the blood clots and stuff.

“I’ve got – I don’t want to talk about it too much – two scars down the side of my leg where they had to cut it open and pull them out because of how severe it was.

“But I don’t really care about that any more. I feel really strong and my right leg is exactly as it was before my leg break.”

Shaw has featured in all of United’s four games this season, playing every minute so far. This comes after just making 17 starts in the previous two campaigns, which were characterised by further injuries and public criticism from manager Jose Mourinho.

England, and Shaw, take on Spain at Wembley on Saturday evening in their inaugural Uefa Nations League match.

The post Man Utd defender Luke Shaw was told he nearly lost his leg appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2CkxiXe

No comments:

Post a Comment