Not being able to say goodbye to Arsenal is like a thorn in my side – Cazorla

Santi Cazorla says the manner in which he exited Arsenal feels like a thorn in his side.

The 33-year-old Spanish midfielder left north London in the summer to rejoin La Liga outfit Villarreal, thus ending a six-year association with the Gunners.

Cazorla’s last game was a Champions League tie against Ludogorets on 19 October 2016, when he sustained a serious ankle injury.

That resulted in him undergoing eight rounds of surgery and despite reports, there wasn’t a chance of him staying beyond last season.

“No, they didn’t want to. They were very good, very honest. My idea was to do at Arsenal what I eventually did here [at Villarreal],” he told the Guardian.

“I knew whoever was going to sign me would have to see me first: nobody just gives you a contract. Pre-season with Arsenal, let them see me, then we all decide. But they couldn’t wait to finalise the squad.

“They said they’d help any way they could otherwise. I understood it, respected it. I’m eternally grateful. The people love me there and I’ll always have a connection with Arsenal, so much affection.

“Not being able to say goodbye playing at the Emirates is like a thorn in my side. If I had to leave, I wanted it to be in front of the fans.”

Cazorla the Gooner

Cazorla joined the Gunners from Malaga in 2012 and would go on to make no fewer than 180 appearances for the club in all competitions, registering 29 goals and 45 assists in the process.

During his time in England, he lifted two FA Cups as well as two Community Shields.

Since returning to Spain, the native of Lugo de Llanera has started in each of Villarreal’s three opening league matches but has yet to contribute a goal or assist in that time.

The post Not being able to say goodbye to Arsenal is like a thorn in my side – Cazorla appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2QkcJgz

No comments:

Post a Comment